A Night or Few, In Quarantine


It was a very humid night and the sea was just outside but the breeze that should have been accompanying it had instead deserted us or was maybe held up like Santa Claus (I was perhaps 13 then but we grew up a little late) on the delivery night. The electricity was now gone for maybe an hour, maybe more, I don't know I was asleep till then. Unlike my parents, who seemed to have been up for a while. I couldn't take it, the salt was making me claw my neck under my ear and chin. I started whining and minutes seemed like an eternity. That's when my dad, or at least I think it was him, said, "Imagine you're in the Himalayas in a wooden cabin and it's snowing outside". Side note, that would be our holiday a few years later (minus the fresh snow). 
Anyway, did it work? No, it didn't. I did fall asleep shortly after, exhausted by my own whining and sore from the scratching. The point being, it's now 2020 and I'm trying to imagine, in these times when the mobile screen has ensured that my imagination is kept well at bay, that we're living in a phase of plenty, there are just so many things to do (which in reality there are), so many places to be, so many goodies in the fridge I couldn't possibly eat them all. And then I do what I do best when my mind is confronted with those many options.....absolutely nothing at all. I'd say my dad was correct, just mistimed in his wisdom.


By Yezad Pardiwalla


Comments

Popular Posts